We deeply regret that we will have to cancel the Where’s the Beach this year. We know that this is a favourite for a lot of people, we look to bring this back next year. Thanks.
We are still working on whether or not the Where’s the Beach Race is on or not. It will not be on the 6th, if it runs (about a 50/50 chance) it will be on the 13th. We are still waiting for some more information before we can figure out if we can run this thing, we will have our answer by this Sunday.
We apologize for the drawn out nature of this.
We are currently trying to figure out the logistics around the Where’s the Beach Race. We have a few technical issues to solve, we will update the status of the race by the Wednesday, June 25.
PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN THE TIMES
Race Organizer: Gord Blackburd
Race Date: June 15, 2014
Race Format: XC Race – Mass start with your entire category. Lap counts depend on what category you are in.
Location:The Grand Beach trails are located in Grand Beach Provincial Park. To find the trails go to the Park’s East Gate, turn right at the Cross Country Ski Trails, 200 meters past the East Gate entrance. Stay to the left to get to the trail head
- Registration Opens – 8:30
- Kids Pre-ride: (U7, U9, U11, U13) – 8:30-9:30
- Event 1: U7/U9 (male and female) – 10:00
- Event 2: U11, U13 (male and female) – 11:00
- Change course for next events: 12:00
- U15 through Elite Pre-ride: 12:30 – 13:15
- Event 3: Elite, Expert, Comp, Sport, KOM U17, KOM U15, U17, U15 (male and female) – 1:30
- Prizes 4:00
Registration: Walk up registration
On-site registration opens at 9:00am and ends 30 minutes before your event. You must hold a UCI/CCA racing license or a MCA citizen license. Please download the entry form and waiver, fill out and bring the completed form and waiver to the race.
- Pre-Registration: 18 + $25, U18 and under are $10 for those holding a UCI/CCA/MCA license.
- On-Site Registration: 18 + $40, U18 and under are $15 for those holding a UCI/CCA/MCA license
- Free to citizens holding a MCA citizen license. You must have either a UCI/CCA/MCA race license or MCA citizen license & it must be presented at time of registration.
- Cash and cheque only, please make cheques out to the Olympia Cycling Club.
- Elite, male and female
- Expert, male and female
- Comp, male and female
- Sport, male and female
- Citizen, male and female
- U17, male and female
- U15, male and female
- U13, male and female
- U11, male and female
- U9, male and female
- U7, male and female
Race Time by Category:
Race times will vary, but will be approximately 30 minutes for Citizen, 45 – 75 minutes for Sport/Comp and up to 90 minutes for Elite & Expert.
The course will between 7 and 9km in length. The length will be determined by the weather for that day. The surface will be a combination of hard packed trails, loose sand, and gravel. There are large and small rock to go around and over, including roots. The course is a combination of single and double track and is up and down in nature with few flat sections.
- All racers bikes must operate a bicycle with both front and rear working brakes.
- All racers must wear a CSA approved helmet while riding on OR off-course (even the parking lot).
- Riders shall act and race with caution and respect for their fellow racers. They shall be held responsible for any accidents that they cause.
- Racers must have their license with them at all times during a race event.
- It is a racer’s responsibility to familiarizing yourself with the race course before the race (marshals will not be obligated to give out directions to confused riders).
- A racer must act in a sporting manner at all times and shall permit any faster rider to overtake without obstructing.
- If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from which they exited.
- Music players and electronic devises are NOT allowed by any racers during any events.
- Sleeveless jerseys are NOT allowed.
- You can only wear a jersey of a club or team you currently belong to, no pro team jerseys that you are not a member of; if you do not belong to a club wear any jersey that is not a pro jersey nor a club jersey where you are not a member of that club.
- Handlebars must have end caps.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the course, including the feed zone.
- The organizer and/or officials retains the full right to refuse any racer from racing.
- Please consult the UCI and CCA rules to see all applicable rules and regulations
Parking is available at the site.
Courtesy and Safety:
The course is open and the public can access the course at any point. Signs will indicate that bike race is in progress, but be aware that marshals do not have authority to prevent people from entering the course. Keep your head up at all times. Be courteous to others.
Washrooms (outhouse) will be open.
Thanks to those that helped put on the race:
- Olympia Cycle and Ski
- Commissaires Tim Loewen and Hal Loewen
- Medic Tom Kolesnik
- OCC team members who worked the race: Wayne Bishop, Gord Blackburde, Ron Kaulins, Ryder Bishop